Each child is made in God's image, a work of art by God Himself. We take our responsibility very seriously and we will work to provide the optimal environment for maximum growth and development. We recognize that our students must engage in various activities to encourage development physically, socially, emotionally, intellectually and spiritually. Therefore, our program is structured as a balance between play-based and academic-based philosophies.
We know that children learn through play -- play is children's work! We do not incorporate play into our schedule to pass time or take a break, but rather, we see play time (whether student-directed or teacher-directed) as learning time. Students understand their world, develop large motor and small motor skills and grow socially through play.
We also know that the demands of later schooling require that students be prepared for Kindergarten. Therefore, our program includes time for early literacy, writing, pre-math and science exploration. Our topics in each area will connect with and be taught through themes.
Cornerstone Preschool is a ministry of Cornerstone Evangelical Presbyterian Church. Our students will be taught that Jesus loves them and that they can have a relationship with Him. They will also be taught stories from God's Word and we will always have prayer as part of our day.
If you'd like to know more about the preschool program or have questions or concerns, call Sandra Nettleingham at 810-494-4047 or email her.
Statement of Faith
The foundation of Cornerstone Preschool is the Word of God, interpreted especially in the Westminster Confession of Faith. The following statements express the essential elements of Christianity that will be taught in our preschool.
1. We believe the Bible to be the infallible Word of God and the Truth, requiring our unreserved submission in all areas of life.
2. We believe in one God, the sovereign Creator and Sustainer of all things – infinite, eternal, and unchanging – existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe that God the Father, motivated by love and mercy, established His covenant of grace with man, promising to deliver His chosen ones from their sinful condition, removing the curse of their sin, reconciling them to Himself, and giving them eternal life through a personal relationship with Him.
4. We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His miracles, His substitutionary death as the punishment for our sins, His bodily resurrection, His ascension to the Father, and His personal return in power and glory.
5. We believe that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, completely apart from human merit, and that the act of coming to faith is a work of grace performed by the Holy Spirit, producing a new creature in Christ.
6. We believe that faith without works is dead, and that we are created to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.
7. We believe that the Holy Spirit is alive and active today. He convicts us of our sin, gives us a new nature, lives within us and guides us, changing our desires and enabling us to live a godly life.
8. We believe in and look forward to the Lord Jesus Christ’s return to earth to judge the living and the dead, and to complete the eternal plan of God.
9. We believe that all believers are under the mandate of Jesus Christ to proclaim the Gospel to all the world.
Welcome from Mrs. Nettleingham
Dear Parents of Preschoolers,
Thank you for your interest in Cornerstone Preschool. Our preschool opened in the fall of 2008 as a ministry of Cornerstone E.P.C. and as an extension of Cornerstone Christian School. We started with 4-year–olds our first year, expanded in our second year to have 3 and 4-year-old classes. Following that, we began offering a “Beginnergarten” class for young 5-year-olds and older 4-year-olds.
Our four-year-old class meets on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings from 8:30-11:30 a.m. Our three-year-olds meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30-11:00 a.m. Our “Beginnergarten” class meets on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday afternoons from 12:30-3:30 p.m.
Our preschool seeks to combine the best of the developmental and academic philosophies...a program in which children are given ample opportunity to discover their world through exploration and play, as well as opportunity to do academic activities in preparation for Kindergarten. We are excited to step alongside you as your child grows mentally, socially, emotionally, physically, and spiritually!
Please feel free to call me if you have any questions regarding the application. The $50 registration fee made out to “Cornerstone Christian School” must accompany the application in order to secure your child’s place in the class. All students entering Cornerstone Preschool are required to have a current physical examination form with immunization records completed and returned to the school office. A certified birth certificate for the student must also be presented.
We encourage you to apply early. Current CCS families may apply during the month of February, and open enrollment begins on March 1. We pray that God will lead many families to take part in our preschool this year.